Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Super-Duper Vegetable Weekend!





I have been craving lighter food, like delicious salad and veggies, lately. I picked three recipes for this weekend, all of which are rich in fresh veggies. Today's recipes were Veggie Focaccia Sandwiches and Italian Pasta Salad (But I made Veggie Ciabatta Sandwiches and Ranch Pasta Salad instead).

1. Veggie Focaccia Sandwiches- Super yummy! To make these, I caramelized onions, yellow bell pepper, and orange bell pepper in Sass brand balsamic vinaigrette. Yum! Personally, I could eat caramelized onions and veggies on their own, and the balsamic vinaigrette gave them an extra tang/sweetness that made them even better. I put this on ciabatta bread, sprinkled it with fresh basil and shredded mozerella, roma tomato slices, and then put the rest of the ciabatta bread on top to complete the sammy. Shane liked these, too! This made four sandwiches, so I saved the extra two in the fridge and I'm planning on heating them back up in the George Foreman grill panini style tomorrow, so the bread will taste toasty instead of stale and the cheese will melt on the veggies.

Our H-E-B has an awesome bakery! You can even talk to the baker. I asked him if he had any focaccia, and he said he was going to start making it next week. Thus the ciabatta, which tasted yummy anyway, but I'll have to make these again with focaccia one day.

2. Italian Pasta Salad (I substituted H-E-B Buttermilk Ranch for the Italian Dressing)- Pasta Salad is one of my very favorite foods. Especially when it has extra goodies besides pasta, like olives and tomatoes. For this pasta salad, I cut up green onions, half a cucumber, a tomato, and a red bell pepper, then added ripe olives. We haven't tasted this yet, because it always tastes better after you let it sit in the fridge for a while. We might bring this to a barbeque we're going to later, but I'll have to see how Shane feels about that. Sometimes he's not too keen on me letting other people eat all the food I make! I will update tomorrow on whether or not this tasted delicious. At any rate, it felt good to eat a bunch of fresh veggies today, because when I'm not cooking we still revert to our not so great diet of pizza, Beenie Weenie, etc.

Coming up this weekend: Greek Salad, a pasta salad recipe I got from one of Shane's parents' neighbors, and an update on overall Abby/Betty progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment