Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Unhealthy Yet Delicious... Cheesy Penne Bake






The only healthy part about this recipe may have been the whole wheat penne, and maybe the crushed tomatoes if you want to stretch it, but it sure does taste good!

First, I cooked up some Italian sausage (which I NEVER would have found if Momma wouldn't have told me to look by the bratwurst) in the frying pan. Italian sausage looks a lot like bratwurst, but you bust open the sausage and squeeze it out so it looks kind of like ground beef. You can eat the casing too, apparently, as it showed on the package. So that whole squeezing out sausage thing was really gross, and nearly made me loose my appetite.

Next, I mixed a large can of crushed tomatoes with basil and garlic powder. For recipes that call for garlic and leave the option of using garlic powder, I always use garlic powder now. It's just not worth cutting up a piece of garlic and having my eyes water like crazy just to get the yucky taste of garlic! A sprinkle of garlic powder'll do.

While I was prepping all that, I boiled the whole wheat penne. The recipe called for rigatoni but that was nowhere to be found at H-E-B.

In a glass pan, I layered the pasta, sausage, tomato mixture, mozzarella and parmesan. I always mess up when I have to layer things! Messed up my lasagna, too. It ended up okay in the end though, I just added more cheese to the top :). This turned out great. It's not as great as the lasagna, but it wasn't nearly as much work. Made a good dinner/leftovers/lunch at work.

My final picture today is of GERMBOT. Shane is going to teach some kindergarten kids about handwashing next week using GloGerm, and this will be their box to look at their hands under the blacklight. We made this together yesterday :).

No comments:

Post a Comment