Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Home Cookin'

Eating out all week at this conference has made me want some real home-cooked comfort food. For the first time ever, I think I might be able to create this for myself. (Previously, Mom's cooking was just about the only way I ever got real home-cooked comfort food). So, even without my cookbook, I have decided on the following menu:

Meatloaf
Scalloped Potatoes (because Jane likes them, and because I want to redeem myself for nasty garlic smashed potatoes)
Green Beans (if I can find some fresh ones that look good)

I'm not feeling like making dessert for this weekend. Maybe we'll just have some ice cream cones, or I'll get some fresh figs and we can eat those. I heard they have yummy fresh figs at Whole Foods now, so maybe they're in season. I'm not sure if Shane likes figs. Dad and I love figs. He had a fig tree at our old house, and we used to eat the fresh figs. Mom cussed at the tree every time she walked by, and cussed every time we brought the figs in the house to eat them. I guess she can't get past the weird, furry fruit with funny-looking insides and realize that they taste delicious!

I forgot to share this about my garlic smashed potatoes. I nearly chopped off my finger when trying to cut the garlic! Apparently you're not supposed to cut the garlic bulb to separate the cloves. Next time I'll just pull them apart! There was quite a bit of blood gushing from my finger, and way more pain than I thought I would have from my super sharp knife. Luckily, after washing my finger with warm, soapy water, applying pressure for 30 seconds to stop the bleeding, and three days of Hello Kitty band-aids, my finger is pretty much healed!
Sorry no pictures this time. The internet at this hotel is too dreadfully slow!

No comments:

Post a Comment