Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lasagn-yum and Tirimi-ew

So, I made the lasagna and tirimisu this weekend, but didn't get to the garlic bread or the salad. I'll make those during the week to stretch the lasagna into more meals for us. Plus, I found myself getting home from work last week (thanks to my awesome government job schedule, I get home at 4:30) wishing I had something to cook! So tomorrow I'll make the salad (we already have all the ingredients) and Wednesday I'll make the garlic bread after we can go to the store and get a fresh loaf of French bread.

So, let's start with the bad news first. The tirimisu was AWFUL! The recipe called for espresso and rum or rum extract. Shane makes espresso all the time, so I had him make some for this, and we shop at H-E-B (where they don't sell rum) and only ever drink beer or wine, so we just bought some imitation rum extract. First, espresso was WAY too strong and gave the cake a really bitter coffee flavor. (Shane likes it, because he is a coffee fiend). Next time I'll just go downstairs to our apartment's coffee dispenser and get some regular coffee. Second, I accidently put too much imitation rum extract and it freaking smelling like fingernail polish remover! Even Shane didn't like the overpowering rummy taste. Next time I'll use regular rum (Shane wants to start making mojitos anyway, so we can buy some) and that way even if I add a little too much it will probably still taste good.

Now for the good news. The lasagna was awesome! We still have a TON leftover. It made an entire 9x13 inch pan full of lasagna, which is like 12 or so generous servings. I made the sauce from scratch (from ground beef, onions, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato paste, basil and parsley) and it smelled SOO good. Then I layered the lasagna in the pan and put it in the fridge until we were ready to bake it today. It would be super convenient for a dinner party, and it was SO GOOD! I already have some packed up to go in my lunch tomorrow, along with some of the leftover fruit salad (the apples still didn't turn brown thanks to the lemon-honey-poppyseed dressing).

So for the weekend I had a few successes and a couple of failures, but what's learning if you don't have to do some of it over again?

No comments:

Post a Comment