Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Pretty salad. Pretty disgusting!


Today I made the italian salad that was supposed to go with the delicious lasagna I made this weekend. And it was utterly disgusting. Let me list the problems one by one.
1. The olive oil lemon-garlic vinaigrette that I made on Saturday (it said you could make it two days ahead!) had congealed by the time I poured it over the salad today.
2. Onions and garlic are yucky. I like them both cooked, but the raw onion (in the salad) and the garlic powder (in the dressing) were overpowering in the salad. Yuck!
3. Artichoke hearts are okay (if you ask me, they didn't really have a taste in this salad, kind of like the jicama in the spinach salad) but Shane made an awful face when he tasted them. Shane, who would eat anything!

Now I'll go over the good parts of the salad (you've got to accentuate the positive, right?)
1. Jumbo ripe black olives (Mario brand, pitted) are delicious.
2. Eating this salad involved using my new salad hands that I've wanted FOREVER and my new $2 blue salad bowl from target, making it extra pretty.
3. The Blue Bell Ultimate Neopolitan (you have to try this flavor!) ice cream in a fudge-dipped cone that I ate afterwards to clear my palette of all the disgusting garlic and onion taste.

So, at least we had fresh veggies for dinner! And ice cream, for both of us, but that has strawberries in it, so that covers another food group! If I need to make a salad to go with the lasagna next time I'll either (a) have a potluck and have someone else bring the salad (Jen makes pretty delicious ones) or (b) keep it simple with romaine lettuce, olives, and croutons and some oil and vinegar.

1 comment:

  1. So, my hands have been smelling like onions ever since Saturday when I made the lasagna sauce. Today I learned from Mom that if you rub your hands against stainless steel (who would have thought?) your hands won't smell like onions anymore. You can just rub your hands on the side of the sink while running cold water on them. It's working so far, but it could be because of the ice cream I got on my hands :).

    ReplyDelete